Tuesday, August 31, 2010

My Sister's Keeper

I've chosen this as the title for a variety of reasons.  First being that this movie is one that I will never be able to watch again.  It hit so close to my heart, so hard, that I was honestly affected by it for days.  Don't get me wrong, it was one of the best movies I've seen, but yet so emotionally taxing.  But I think that has a lot to do with the fact that I have two girls...
Secondly, the author of this book, Jodi Picoult, has become one of my favorites over the course of the summer.  I've read two of her books, Nineteen Minutes and Salem Falls, and both were excellent.  I returned to the library this week in hopes of sticking my nose into more of her collection, but I guess I am one of many, many fans as they were all checked out.  So I am now patiently awaiting to hear when I can pick up my 'hold' copy of Eat Pray Love after being the 21st person on the waiting list and it's been over 6 weeks.  Hoping it lives up to all the hype.
Lastly, for some strange reason, I have been questioned A LOT lately about when we are going to have baby #3.  Why is this?  Since when is 2 not the perfect number?  Do people not realize that having 2 (high maintenance, at that) GIRLS (especially being that they are under the age of 3) is quite the task?? 
"Aren't you going to try for a boy?" is a question I hear at least once a week.
Granted, the thought crossed my mind.  For about 2 months after Monkey was born. 
But I'm over that now.  I like what we've got.
I know I'm a little biased, but I think what my girls have is pretty awesome.  I never had a sister (or a brother for that matter) and even though I am open to admitting that I lived a sweet life as an only child, seeing two sisters together absolutely melts my heart.  Bug has loved her sister since day one, and each day I am witness to them growing closer and closer.  Just tonight I was trying to get Bug to apologize to Monkey for accidently bumping into her, and while I was doing so, she looked up at me like she was 12 and said, "I would like to talk to 'her' by myself please mama."  And just like that, I was no longer wanted/needed in the conversation.  They've already formed a team, and although I do know and understand this will come and go over the next 18 years, right now, I'm enjoying every second of it.  They play, they fight, they laugh, they cry, but they love each other to pieces and I know that they will be eachother's keeper for life.
So when people ask if we're going to try for a boy, I am confident in knowing that I don't feel "unlucky" in having two of the same sex and I don't feel the need to try and have a third child.  I actually feel extremely lucky to know that we have everything we've ever wanted and needed (and then some!).

1 comment:

  1. THIS ONE MADE ME CRY! I AM SO GLAD THAT BUG AND MONKEY HAVE EACH OTHER. THEY ARE SO LUCKY TO HAVE EACH OTHER. BUG ASKING YOU TO LEAVE THEM ALONE WAS JUST TOO PRECIOUS. THE DAY MONKEY CAME IN THE FRONT DOOR BUG ALREADY LOVED HER. nO MATTER WHAT THEY WILL ALWAYS
    HAVE EACH OTHERS BACKS. sOMETHING ONLY SISTERS
    CAN DO.

    ReplyDelete