Thursday, June 23, 2011

The Real Deal

I just finished reading a book about a couple who was sending their last child off to college and the parents were scared to death to be by themselves, alone without their children.  They didn't know what they would talk about or what they would do together because their children were their lives. 

We all love our kids.  They make us laugh.  They bring us endless joy.  They complete us.

There is no denying any of the above.

TOH and I just returned from a weekend away...minus the children.  It was fabulous in every way.  On the drive back, he confessed this to me...

"I love our kids to death and would not change anything about our lives...but this weekend of 'you and me' was one of the best weekends I've had in a really long time."  (see why I love him so much?!)

I couldn't agree more...our girls are our number one priority...there is nothing we wouldn't do for them... however, having a strong foundation with your other half is a key factor when you become parents and it's easy for many couples to lose track of this after having children.  If there is any valuable advice that I could give to soon-to-be moms it would be just that...it's so easy to get all caught up in your kids...but in between it all, make sure you take time to focus on the two of you.  Frequently remind each other of the reasons you came together in the first place.  Reminisce about all the funny times you've had together and the hopes you both have for your future. 

I couldn't be more thankful to be going through this journey in life with someone as amazing as him.  He completes me, which in turn, makes me the wife, mom, and friend I am to those around me.  We laugh together, play together, and are all sorts of crazy together.  I love him for all of these reasons and more...and wish for nothing but the same for our girls...many, many years down the road!

1 comment:

  1. My heart is warm as it smiles. I'm so glad your short times away as a couple give you the chance to be "just us" again.

    ReplyDelete