Friday, September 24, 2010

It's Good to Be Back

Back to normal.  Back to blogging.  Back to myself.  Since last Monday when we were told that Monkey would have surgery yesterday, my mind was in a complete fog for ten days.  I couldn't write, I couldn't talk on the phone, I was pretty much mute.  All I kept thinking about was "how is she going to make it that long without eating or drinking, will I be able to pull myself together enough to hold her while they put her under, will the surgery go smoothly, will she react okay to the anesthesia, how long will it take for her to get back to normal?"  And to think this was just a minor surgery. 
She was born with a tiny little 'hole' on her skin at the base of her neck, which in the medical world they call a branchial cleft sinus.  The hole was actually the end of a sinus tract which doctors were hoping would close up.  We kept an eye on it for the past 16 months, but it never did, so the doctors decided it was time to have it stitched up to prevent any future infection as her skin grows.  She had the sinus tract removed and is all put back together again.  She did awesome.  With the help of the other half, I did pretty well myself too.  Don't get me wrong, there were some tears as I walked away from the operating room after lying her down, limp as could be.  But I knew she was in good hands and within an hour she was back in my arms.  By last night, she was back to eating chicken, fruit, and milk and running crazy around the house with her sister.  We have returned to normalcy.

 
And not that we don't know what amazing friends and family we have, but so many of you sent such thoughtful and caring messages and prayers our way and we could not be more grateful to have you all in our lives.  Thank you for helping us to get through this experience...it was so great to know we have you to lean on. 

So for now I have had my fill of hospitals, doctors, and anesthesia...maybe in 18 years I will be ready again when they need their wisdom teeth or tonsils removed.  Maybe.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad she did well! When W had tubes placed in his ears, I felt all the same emotions as you did. Thankfully it is a super short procedure and he did fine. Hugs to your gorgeous girls!

    ReplyDelete