Tuesday, March 1, 2011

didn't your mom teach you that?

I have a great fantastic mom.  She has taught me more than I can even remember...and still does to this day.  One of the most important lessons I walked away with is this: 

If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all.

Pretty easy, if you ask me.  All you have to do is keep your mouth shut.  It goes along with some great advice my mother-in-law also gave me after having baby #1 and I was a nervous wreck about not doing the 'right things' when it came to parenting...

If they don't like what they see, they should just look away. 

Also pretty simple.  It's just a turn of your head.

So, where does this lead me?  Someone very close to me has a job that requires them to interact with much of the local public.  These people never have face-to-face contact or conversation with my 'friend' but instead, it's all through technological devices (television, email, Twitter, Facebook, etc.).  Most of the time, people are nice.  Complimentary.  You know, they follow the whole 'do onto others...' lesson that your mom also probably taught you.  However, there is a small group of people out there who unfortunately missed all of those lessons.  For some unknown reason (read: they have so much spare time on their hands and absolutely no life) they feel they are 'empowered' in some way by hiding behind their computers while trying to tear down others who are simply trying to do their job.  They say things that are demeaning, false, and just plain nasty.  I mean, really??  Does that bring joy to your day?  Do you go to bed at night feeling good/better about yourself after doing so?  It makes me angry.  I would love to meet these people in person and see what they would have to say once they don't have anything to hide behind.  It makes me sad.  I hate seeing my friend work so hard and put so much heart into their job and then have to deal with people losers (sorry, but that's what I really think) like this.  Grow up.  Get a life.  Either learn to say nice things, or look the other way, or simply shut your face.  Harsh, I know, but the more I am talking about this, the stronger my feelings get.

So, I'll stop there.  Just had to vent tonight.

Thank you mom for everything you have taught me. 

There will be happier posts to follow.  Promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment